Monday, October 01, 2007

The Big O

One of the earlier Unicef boxes

A spooky shelf of Jack o' lanterns








Vintage ads and an old Saturday Evening Post cover

















October that is! I love October. It's my favorite month of the entire year.













Why do I love thee, let me count the ways....



















It is the only month that starts with a big fat O







Fall Folliage


Crispy, crunchy mounds of leaves



The first real month of Autumn




My birthday month



Jack o' Lanterns




Halloween



Harvest Moon



Bonfires

And don't forget all those other special celebrations in the month of October!

Celebrate Sun Dried Tomatoes month


Columbus Day


Moldy Cheese Day


Eat Country Ham Day


World Smile Day :)



National pajamas month




National Sarcastic month



National self Promotion month





Did I say, October is my birthday month? I was the envy of all my friends because I was only kid in elementary school that actually got to have a Halloween party every year! Because my birthday is only 5 days away from Halloween every birthday party had an orange and black theme; orange paper hats, clickety metal noisemakers, blow outs, metal horns, tablecloth,cups, plates, and napkins decorated with goblins and witches, bobbing for apples, treasure hunts, and spooky charades. But no costumes,they were saved only for Halloween night, long before costume parades became fashionable at school.


Trick or treating was was an all night affair. Well, from the time you got home from school until midnight! So much time, so many treats, and so much time to plan an execute the tricks.



And don't forget to "Trick or Treat for Unicef".






Back in the fifties little girls dressed up in their best party finery in their party dresses complete with full skirts, velvet bows, frilly petticoats, and lots of lace with little white socks and black patent leather shoes.







So enjoy this glorious month.



















1 comment:

Katie said...

ummm. i was just telling my friends how much i love halloween because you make it such a big fun holiday. and how you love it because of your birthday halloween parties... haha. great minds...