Monday, March 31, 2008

And They're Off


It's Derby season!! The horses are off and running. I am an avid fan of thoroughbred horse racing so I'll be checking http://www.kentuckyderby.com/ often this month. April is the big month for derby trials and most of them are on TV so you can follow too. Three big races April 5; Santa Anita, Wood Memorial, and the Illinois Derby. The following week on Aug 12 the Blue Grass Stakes and Arkansas Derby and the weekend of the 19th the Coolmore Stakes.
It's any ones guess who will be in the field of 20 horses. Some of the contenders listed today like Anak Nakal, Atoned, Cool Coal Man, and Cowboy Cal may never get there and horses we've never heard of will pop up as major contenders. There's a lot of talk today about Bib Brown who won last weekend's Florida Derby.
I got hooked on horse racing about 5 years ago after John and I went to Lexington for Spring Break. We went to the Kentucky Horse Farm, bet on the horses at Keeneland, visited museums, horse farms, and stud farms as well as Churchill Downs. I've read about a dozen books on horses and even bet on the Derby last year. One of these days I'll actually get to the Kentucky Derby.
This spring break I have sneakily built in a day in Lexington on our way to Asheville to go back to the races at the gorgeous racetrack at Keeneland.
I'll keep you posted as the season runs.

No comments: